Thursday 15 January 2015

Fellowship of Fantasy Writers. J Lenni Dorner

Welcome to my blog, JLenni Dorner.

Tomorrow I am hosting Elizabeth Loraine.









Name: J Lenni Dorner
Email: jlennidorner@gmail.com
Blog: jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
What you want from the other authors: I'm cool with whatever we're doing.
(Is each blog perhaps taking 1 interview? Or maybe 1 or 2 of these questions for every writer on each blog-- do the full hop to learn the most about everyone?)
Book title: (If you have one, if not, don't worry.) Wrong! ~ An anthology from the Creative Writing Institute, to be published by Southern Star Publications, in which I contributed one of the stories
" WRONG!: A themed anthology 2014 "
Buy links:  (shortened - bitly.com is great for shortening.) Will be available in December.
http://www.amazon.com/WRONG-themed-anthology-Deborah-Owen-ebook/dp/B00QX379ES
http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-themed-anthology-Deborah-Owen/dp/1927296056/

Special Notes: I am one of the authors who won a spot in this anthology. All proceeds from book sales go to a charitable organization.
Proceeds from sales of "WRONG!: A themed anthology 2014" will benefit cancer patients in writing courses.


*************
Tell us about yourself and how many books you have written.
I weave fantasy with lore to unhinge your mind. I've written a few books that remain unpublished (querying, editing, totally rewriting). I've published short stories and poetry under several other names. " WRONG!: A themed anthology 2014 " includes my short story, EGOT and the Pond King.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?
For NaNoWriMo 2014, I'll be working on The Dagger in the Darkrise, which is a high fantasy novel. It was inspired by a gaming community my friends and I began taking part in fifteen years ago.
The anthology, "Wrong!," features the winners of a writing contest. We were to use the lines, "I have a list and a map. What could possibly go wrong?," in the story. Entries had to be under 2,000 words. I was also inspired by a humorous image on Pinterest. Combining the required lines and that image, I wrote EGOT and the Pond King.

Do you have any unusual writing habits?
I've scribbled a few ideas, notes, dialog exchanges, and character quirks on a notebook that I keep on the headboard of my bed. My sleep handwriting is terrible though, so I'm not certain what all of it says.

What authors or books have influenced you?
Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance by Rosanne Bane

What are you working on now?
I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo! I have a high fantasy planned out. I'm also finishing up a short fantasy story and a short story for young adults.

What is your best method or website when it comes to promoting your books?
I think Twitter offers the best method I've seen. I say this due to the massive number of ebooks by others I've acquired thanks to links I've seen there.

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Don't be a writer. Be anything else. Only be a writer if you enraged that I just told you not to be one and were mentally arguing with me.

What is the best advice you have ever heard?
Even if you make a mistake, it's better than making no attempt at all.

What are you reading now?
I'm in the middle of two reference books on the craft. ("Save the Cat" and "Write Great Fiction: Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint") I'm also reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and Psi Another Day by D.R. Rosensteel.

"Write Great Fiction: Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint," "The War of the Flowers" by Tad Williams, "The Other Normals" by Ned Vizzini, and "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" by N.K. Jemisin.
The last one is the January 2015 selection for the Fantasy Faction book club.
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(jan-2015)-hundred-thousand-kingdoms/


What's next for you as a writer?
To keep on writing! I'll finish up the fantasy book and then get into editing and querying. I'm also cleaning up my urban fantasy book, then re-editing and sending it back out to query.

If you were going to be stranded on a desert island and allowed to take 3 or 4 books with you what books would you bring?
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (it's the longest one)
Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence by Lisa Cron
Moby Dick by Herman Melville


What inspires you to write?

I write because I have to. I write for the same reason that I breathe, eat, or sleep. I write because my characters need me. I write because doing so reminds me that I am alive, that I have a purpose, and that the next page is a reason to wake up tomorrow.


Tell us about your writing process
A character gets into my head and demands to exist. The loudest ones win. The quiet ones attempt to kill them off.

Are you an outliner or a seat of the pants writer? If you are an outliner, what do you use to outline? Whiteboard? Software?
I will sketch a very basic outline after I've fleshed out the story a bit.

Do you create character sketches before or during your writing?
A huge yes to this one! I start them before, and expand upon them during. Keeping track of all those tiny little notes is important.

Do you listen to or talk to your characters? How do you interact with your characters while you are writing?
The characters aren't real good about ever shutting up. Seriously, I'm either a writer or a complete psycho. It's a thin line. My interactions with them while writing are a bit touch and go, because sometimes (most times) I have to torture them a bit.

What advice would you give other writers?
For writing fiction you simply have to do exactly what all the other successful authors have, but in a way that no other ever came up with.
(I have that on a pin - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/391109548860006162/ )

How did you decide how to publish your books?
To my understanding, some publishing houses have lists of frequent book buyers to whom they send alerts when a new book is published. This increases sales. So I start by looking at the success of other published books and work from there. It is also very important to research, because I've heard about several writers who published with someone that vanished, and took the rights and royalties with them! Scary stuff.

What do you think about the future of book publishing?
I think it's going to be really interesting. There's a big flood right now from the indie section. Some of it is great, some of it is good, and some of it is in desperate need of editors. The larger presses are going to need to adapt to this new love of authors who don't need them. Those who can change, who can offer something amazing to writers and readers alike, will survive. Any who can't adapt will vanish in the next decade, tossed onto the pile with Enron, MySpace, and Pontiac vehicles.

No comments: