Friday 30 May 2014

Poetry: A Plea for Peace

Here we go. Another poem. This time one I wrote a long time ago. When I was a student in the 60s it was the time of the Cold War and people were very afraid of Nuclear War breaking out. It was not so long since the atom bombs had been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, although at the time it seemed like a long time ago to me. People were very much afraid. Leaflets were sent out as to what to do in the event of a nuclear attack and the BBC made a film about what would happen in the event of a thermonuclear attack on Britain. At the time it was considered too frightening to be shown on TV and was banned, but private film clubs could show it. I saw it at Manchester University Film Club. It was very frightening. There was a movement called CND that campaigned for the abolition if nuclear weapons. Although I was not a member, I did sympathize with their cause. During this time I wrote the following poem.

A Plea for Peace

Now we have created something 
That threatens to destroy
One error, one mistake
And what is left for us
But Death

I see the ruins of a country
That once was powerful
Now there is nothing but
Ruin, Dust, Decay
And Death

I hear the cries of suffering people
Many people, old and young
They cry in agony to God
Please give us peace
Through Death

But...
The only true peace we can have on Earth
Is through remembrance of our Saviour's birth.

No comments: